Sony 4K sensor for gorgeous, super-sampled HD, 2K and 4K The PMW-F55 CineAlta camera shoots spectacular images with its 8.9 megapixels (effective) Sony 4K image sensor. You get superb dynamic range, the widest colour gamut, and pristine image quality, whether you shoot in HD, 2K or 4K. Multiple recording formats includes HD/2K/4K on SxS memory and 16-bit RAW 2K/4K on AXSM™ media Multiple recording formats include MPEG-2 HD422, MPEG4 SStP*, XAVC 2K*/HD, XAVC QFHD*/4K and 16-bit RAW 2K/4K**. You can have simultaneous recording on internal high-speed SxS PRO+ memory cards and RAW 2K/4K recording on sleek AXSM™ memory cards using the optional bolt-on AXS-R5 recorder, designed specifically to attach seamlessly to the F55 and F5 cameras. There is also high speed shooting up to 240 fps RAW 2K and 60 fps in RAW 4K recording onto the AXS-R5. *Expected as a future upgrade. ** Recording onto the optional AXS-R5 recorder. Lightweight modular design to maximize versatility in 2D and 3D The F55 is exceptionally small, light and modular, letting you build up the right configuration for each job – or each shot. As well as the choice of formats and internal and external recording options, you can attach a variety of viewfinders, including the revolutionary optional DVF-EL100 OLED viewfinder, PL-mount, FZ-mount and still lenses, including second-generation Sony PL-mount lenses, and extra long-life Olivine – Lithium Iron Phosphate – batteries. The chassis is only slightly wider than a typical PL-mount prime lens, perfect for 3D rigs. An optional shoulder rig provides for hand-held and shoulder-mounted shooting.
|Built-In Optical Filters||Clear
0.9 = 1/8ND = 3 STOPS
1.8 = 1/64ND = 6 STOPS
0.9 (3 STOPS)
1.8 (6 STOPS)
|Dynamic Range||14 STOPS|
|Effective Picture Elements||8.9 @ 4K
8.3 @ QFHD & HD
|Effective Pixels||8.9 @ 4K
8.3 @ QFHD & HD
|Gain Selection||-3, 0, 3, 6, 9, 12, 18db|
|Horizontal Resolution||4096 pixels
2168 TV Lines
|Lens Mount||Native Sony FZ mount, Includes PL Mount adapter.|
|Optical System||Super35mm Single Image sensor with Frame Image Scan|
|Pickup Device||Super35mm equivalent Single-chip CMOS with Frame Image Scan|
|S/N Ratio||57dB DNR off|
|Shutter Speed||1/24s to 1/6,000s
4.2° to 360° (electronic shutter angle)
|Slow & Quick Motion Function||SxS Memory : XAVC 2K/HD: 1-180p
AXS Memory with AXS-R5 : 2KRAW 1-240p
|Imager||S35mm 4K/Wide Color Bayer CMOS
- The PMW-F55’s Sony 4K image sensor captures a true 4K 4096 x 2160 DCI-standard cinema image. Its 4K CMOS sensor features 11.6 megapixels (total) and 8.9 megapixels (effective). The “Frame Image Scan” technology used by F55 sensor eliminates flash band and image artifacts common to conventional CMOS sensors. This sensor captures with an impressive 14 stops of exposure latitude with excellent sensitivity and low noise. The F55 image sensor is also equipped with the same advanced color filter array technology used in Sony’s flagship F65, which delivers color gamut that’s wider than 35mm motion picture print film.
- The F55 CineAlta camera provides the choice recording of three formats to SxS cards: MPEG-2, 50Mbps HD422 plus two 10-bit mastering formats: XAVC at HD, 2K & 4K resolution, plus SR Codec (HDCAM SR) at 440Mbps or 220Mbps. 16-bit Linear 2K/4K RAW recording to the optional AXS-R5 recorder preserves the greatest latitude for color correction and other post processes. Sony’s 16-bit recording captures 16x more tonal values than 12 bit RAW. Thus it’s the ideal acquisition format for the 16-bit linear Academy Color Encoding System (ACES) workflow.
- The F55 features high frame-rate on-board XAVC HD and 4K recordings up to 60 fps, plus a free planned upgrade to XAVC, QFHD up to 60 fps in addition to XAVC 2K/HD up to180 fps. It also offers 240 fps 2K RAW with the optional AXS-R5 outboard recorder and a planned upgrade, achieving the highest frame rates most productions will need, while retaining exceptional, 16-bit image quality.
- Simultaneous RAW and onboard camera SxS recording provides a coordinated “off-line, on-line” workflow with simultaneous recording to internal SxS cards and the optional AXS-R5 RAW recorder. For seamless conforming in post, you get matching time code, start frame, stop frame, and file names.
- The F55 is equipped with Sony’s large diameter, robust, FZ-mount which is compatible with virtually all 35mm DSLR, and Cine lenses with simple inexpensive lens adapters. It ships with a PL-mount compatible with Cooke/i and Arri LDS.
- The F5/F55 excellent camera ergonomics enable comfortably shooting for long periods of time. The camera head, viewfinder and shoulder mount can be adjusted to fit any shooter and optimized for different lens configurations. Their clean, flexible architecture enables shooting in many configurations.